After several rounds of beta testing and a few leaks in the wild, CNN’s new Pipeline product has officially launched. Traditional media have covered this a bit (see this AJC.com story, free registration required), and the blogs have had a lot to say – almost all of it quite positive.
- MediaBistro covers the softlaunch on Sunday
- HDBeat gets all excited about the HD back-end to the new app
- Paidcontent.org mistakenly thinks the main feed is going out in HD, but has good commentary overall
- What’s Happening at CNN also chimes in on the Sunday launch
- Tadspot.com talks about Web 2.0 features he’d like to see in the product
Most interesting to me were the overwhelmingly positive comments on the LostRemote.com post. Users talk about the attractive price ($25/year or $0.99 daypass), access to CNN International in the off-hours, etc. Another commenter thinks out loud about the paid content model v. sponsorship, suggesting a sponsored model might make sense here; another applauds the lack of a playlist making decisions for the user about what to play next.